Cars from the Concours: 1937 Rolls-Royce Phantom III
Photo by Hans Marquez
This Rolls-Royce Phantom III started life in 1937 with a limousine body built by W.C. Atcherley. In 1947, Rolls-Royce Collector John Gaul had the car rebodied to this extravagant design by Freestone & Webb using a double skin of copper over steel for the fenders and adding many luxury Fittings. It became known to friends and family as “Gaul’s Copper Kettle.” During the late ’40s and early ’50s, the car was shown at many European concours and became famous throughout Rolls-Royce circles. The car was fully restored for its current owner, Don Williams, and in 2008 received a best in class award at Pebble Beach.